Thursday, June 02, 2005

I Need Joy

The joy of writing.

I need some right now.

I’m not sure what’s going on in my head, but I seem to be having a difficult time putting pen to paper (okay, fingers to keyboard). I have writer’s block. There I said it. Does it make anything easier? No. I still can’t write anything but crap.

This past weekend I set a goal for myself to write anything…. Anything to fill five single spaced pages. I wrote and wrote and wrote…. It was all crap. I wrote three openings for my next story, a gothic. I wrote character outlines and bits of scenes. I tried writing the end (it sucked).

Sigh….

I need inspiration… I need motivation…. I need…. something.

Maybe I need to set my self attainable goals. Like, I so many pages in a week. Maybe if I make myself write, I will. It’s not like I don’t have anything to write. The gothic I am working on sounds awesome! I have the plot, the killer, the bodies, the hero, everything all plotted out. I just need to WRITE IT DOWN!!!

Geez… can it be any easier?

I stopped writing on my historical because I couldn't get past the last scene. I was stuck. Now, I think the scene is wrong for the book and should be tossed. So... I need to get moving and write. Here again is a story that is all plotted out. I just need to write it down.

So... I will quit bitchin' and start writing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Try and relax. Sometimes when we get so worried about not being able to write, it makes the whole thing that much more difficult. Go take a walk or read a good book and then go back to the computer with a fresh perspective.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Rene said...

Writer's block is an insidious thing. It burrows into our heads and creates a vicious cycle that is tough to break out of. But it can be done. I think of it like a baseball superstar who has a reputation for being a slugger. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, they fall into a slump. They try changing their stance, their timing, etc., to no avail. I can imagine they cringe every time the walk up to the plate. But sure enough, one day, they hit a single and the slump is broken. It is the same way with us as writers. Try not to let it infiltrate your confidence, everyone has writer's block at one time or another. Keep writing. Even if it is crap, even if it is a two-sentence post on the blog, keep doing it and the block will dissipate and you will be back to a writing machine. Besides, I'm dying to read the gothic.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have times when I feel like everything I write is crap. The best way I can deal with it (after much complaining to anyone who will listen) is to give myself permission to write crap. My CP and I often tell each other to "go write a crappy chapter!" Jokingly, for the most part. But if you get the crap down on paper, you can fix it later. Make it pretty. Be happy with it. I often forget how lucky writers are...unlike sculptors, we can try over and over again on the same piece. Sculptors, well, they're kinda screwed if they get it wrong the first time. *g*

Good luck getting out of your writers block phase!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello ~~Olivia,

After reading your blog "I Need Joy", I believe you will find the wages information on my site about Jobs With Best Wages to be very helpful.

To give you an idea of our wide range, some of the recent searches that found our site included ...

Editors Wages
Entertainers Wages
Performers Wages
Fashion Designers Wages
Film & Video Editors Wages
Fine Artists Wages
Painters Wages
Illustrators Wages
Sculptors Wages.

We have hundreds of "must read" articles on wages and careers and many other topics in our Top Career Wages site.

Kind Regards
Emily

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home