Thursday, June 09, 2005

Finding Time to Write

Thanks to Mel and Rene I have picked back up my historical and I will finish it. I need to set some goals, like one scene/chapter a week.

Finding time to write has always been a challenge for me. I have a husband, kids, and a fulltime job.

I need to get creative. I need to MAKE time to write. I need to push aside or delegate less important tasks and make time for me to write. I used to be able to get some writing done at work, but my job changed, people were downsized and the worked has piled up. There is no more free time at work.

My wonderful, understanding husband has bought me a dana computer/screen so I now can write/type/compose just about anywhere. I can sit at my kitchen table and write. I can sit in the living room and write. I am no longer chained to the main computer in our house. I can compose without my two boys breathing down my neck asking if I'm done yet.

So what's stopping me? Dishes, laundry, preparing dinner, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, are all tasks that still need to get done. Dh (dear husband) helps a lot, but he's no maid. I don't expect him to do it all. After doing housework, I still have some free time and that gets eaten up spending time with my kids and reading. (I don't have hobbies, I have children)

Just like I need to set goals to complete scenes or chapters, I need to set goals to have free time to write. I probably spend too much time on the internet. I can cut out time surfing and playing computer games.

So, right here, today, I am going to set a goal of writing at least an hour and a half everyday., and three hours a day on the weekend. I will keep a log to check my progress. I need to know if I am setting realistic goals. Wish me luck!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! You can do anything you set your mind to!

And I have a Dana too. It really does make it so you can write anywhere...like at my youngest's soccer practices or while I'm waiting for his game to start. Or at work at lunch time (if I even get a lunch!)

I also found, this last book, when I actually FOLLOWED the darn synopsis, I got a lot more written in a shorter time. And writing every day--no exucses--really keeps your head in the book! That's my immersion theory and I'm stickin' to it!

4:23 AM  
Blogger Rene said...

I too am strapped for time. But what I've been finding recently is I'm too exhausted from everything else to find the energy to write. Today, I had a bunch of time to write. So what did I do? I played SimCity 4. It required very little brain power from me.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Kacey, you can do anything that you set your mind do. Just plant butt in chair and write. Write. Write.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion you are mistaken. I can prove it. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Certainly. I agree with told all above. We can communicate on this theme.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home