Thursday, December 21, 2006

Gut Instinct

I'm doing some very minor revisions of my ms, getting ready to send it back to the agent. It's tough going. Not that the revisions are hard, they aren't and they are exceptionally minor. But I have to force myself not to take them further. When I finished this book, I revised it. Not much. Had some continuity errors and I needed to fix a few word choices. I went through it again. I changed some grammar and smoothed it out a bit. When I started to go through it a third time I stopped. My instinct was to leave it alone.

Apparently it was the right call. My agent feels its a very strong ms and needs little correction.

So now I'm on my revisions (I think I'm done) and I find myself trying to tinker with it. I shouldn't. Whatever my instinct was, it worked for this novel. Changing it might ruin the balance. So I'm running through it, finding only the scenes I feel need some change and leaving the rest alone. It is tough, though.

How about you? Do you have any instinct when it comes to writing and editing or are you more systematic?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with this. I hope it finds a home.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

I agree - you can completely overedit something and ruin your voice. Definitely trust your instincts on this one.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home