Sunday, June 12, 2005

Finding the Love

Sometimes I feel like I focus so much on the elements of writing a novel I forget about the big picture, the enchilada grande. The ROMANCE! I'm so worried about my conflicts, my plots, my POV switches, I forget the heart of the story.

It's all about the prince and his princess, whether the prince is a vampire and the princess is a firefighter. The story remains the same. Sometimes I forget I'm not writing about reality. Oh, it has the trappings of the real world, but the man and woman I am focusing on are on another plane, at least I hope so.

I worry about the market. I worry about the buttons and bows of my novel when I think if I quit worrying about that stuff and focused on the love story, I'd be a happier writer.

Is finding the love in your book the key to writing happiness?

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Hmm...I like the concept of finding the love to find your happiness. And it's true - we can become so caught up in the mechanics and craft of writing that we forget the emotion. I like to write the first draft without worrying too much about the mechanics, but trying to get the emotion on the page. Then I go back and apply a lot of the mechanics. But this method doesn't work for everyone. I just don't know if I can cram everything into the first draft without draining my creativity.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Rene - yes, I think sometimes we focus so much on rules etc, we forget we're telling the story of two people falling in love. And it's on that we need to concentrate for the first draft. Losing ourselves in THEIR story. The rest can come later.

10:42 AM  
Blogger ~~Olivia said...

Thanks for the wake-up call, Rene. Yes, our books about love. So often I get caught up in plot and action that I forget.

Mel, I write just the opposite. I write the mechanics, the action first. Then I have to go back and put in the emotion. How was she feeling when this happened?

6:37 PM  
Blogger Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I love romance, but I can't just focus on that aspect of the book alone. It is real easy to worry about everything around the book, though. And gee, is there such thing as writing happiness?? LOL! Yeah, to me it is when I feel the book is finished.=)

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home