Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Brick Wall

Yesterday was not a good writing day. I only did 3 pages. I felt like I was hitting a brick wall. I'm not sure why, in the bright light of morning, it looks fine, but yesterday, my mind couldn't go any further.

Brick walls are nothing new in writing, we hit them all the time. How do you deal with it? Do you get out your climbing gear and find a way over it or do you punch through? Do you find the wall so impenetrable that you abandon it altogether? I've been guilty of that one before.

Sometimes the brick wall has nothing to do with the WIP but something else entirely. Had those moments when there seems to be a brick wall sitting on your keyboard?

What sorts of strategies do you employ to get passed this obstacle?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Toni Anderson said...

I got ten pages written so far today--nothing yesterday as DS was home (sigh). Hope to do a few more tomorrow. Fifty is looking mighty tricky but I am getting something down.

Brick walls? I just keep smashing my head against them until either they crumble or I do--and eat lots of chocolate!!

12:46 PM  
Blogger ~~Olivia said...

I turn around and go in another direction.

In my current manuscript, I'm finding it difficult to complete a scene where my hero is injured. The details just keep getting muddied.

I'm not dumping the scene, but to keep me going forward, I started another scene that has been in my mind. Hopefully, when I finish this second scene, I can come back to the first scene with renewed vigor.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home